Commissioned by Martin Bormann between 1937-1938, it is built on the summit of the Kehlstein Mountain and was given to Adolf Hitler by the Nazi Party on the occasion of his 50th birthday. The Kehlstein Mountain is part of the Berchtesgaden Alps and is 1834 meters high. Adolf Hitler visited this place only rarely, probably no more than 10 times.
In 1945 the Kehlstein House was the target of an Allied bombing raid, though it was not hit. In the 1960’s the building was almost destroyed by explosives, but the local government prevented its destruction.